Tuesday 11 October 2016

Introducing.... Safeguard

Who the fuck are Safeguard?


Well guess what you're gonna find out!

A cheeky 4 piece pop punk outfit from the mean streets of York, UK. They are made up of Declan Gough on vocals, Martyn Marsh and Richard White of guitars and Zak Lonsdale on Bass. They are currently without a drummer.

These dudes have released a little teaser track on Bandcamp just to get us all a bit moist and to be fair I've got a feeling I'm gonna have to grab a mop!



I put together a little 'getting to know you' Q&A with some very important questions regarding who the band are as humans and the answers were golden....

Do you remember the first time you fell in love with music?

Declan: I remember the first music video I ever saw as a kid was 'Should I Stay or Should I Go' by The Clash and just thought they were so goddamn cool, after that music became part of my life. Even from like 6 years old, I would always sing and would like tap my foot along to songs, sometimes without even realising.

Zak: When my Dad used to drive me back to my Mum's and he'd play the American Idiot and Motörhead CDs in the car.

Martyn: My mum was in a Brass band so had music in my life from a very early age.

What do you think is the best song ever written and why?

D: Bohemian Rhapsody, bit of a generic answer I know but Jesus, what a song. The song has no chorus and is still unbelievable.

Z: Gonna have to be generic as hell and say Bohemian Rhapsody, it's just a flawless song.

M: Konstantine by Something Corporate. The feels.

If you could 'make love/fuck' any song what would it be and why?

D: Probably something by Marvin Gaye or Barry White, those songs just ooze sex.

Z: Probably anything by Taylor Swift, guilty pleasure for days

M: Bad Touch by Bloodhound Gang

What's your fondest childhood memory?

D: Sitting around with absolutely no worries in the world stuffing my face watching Drake and Josh, Rugrats or Dexter's Laboratory, those were the days.

Z: My dad attempting to teach me guitar and losing interest after a week because I started very basic stuff on a terrible acoustic

What would be your ultimate line up for a one night only gig Dead or Alive?

D: Blink, Nirvana, Oasis.

Z: Blink 182 and Green Day circa 1999

M: Hit the Lights, Something Corporate and Blink 182 (with Tom)

Who gave you the best live experience?

D: Quite recently seeing Twenty One Pilots at Leeds Fest 2016, their live show literally blew me away.

Z: Red Hot Chilli Peppers

M: Weezer, Leeds fest 2010. Rivers Cuomo is a madhead.

Who's your favourite Disney villain?

D: Probably Scar from The Lion King.

Z: Sid from Toy story, he's my current hair inspiration

M: Randall off Monsters Inc. At first I thought it was John Cena because you cant see him.

Musical dream?

D: To be able to tour America with mates and amazing bands.

Z: Being massively recognised in the alt music scene

M: Play warped tour

Musical nightmare?

D: To never be able to tour America with mates and amazing bands.

Z: Being compared to 5SOS

M: Declan singing with an American accent.

What made you start a band, what was the driving force being it?

D: When I was a kid, I LOVED Busted and McFly (their songs were good ok). Listening to them and watching them play guitar and jump around made me want to learn guitar and be in bands. Then my first album I ever bought was Green Day's American Idiot and that was what got me into alternative music. My dad and cousins also played in live bands so I guess ever since I was young, I've wanted to be in a band.

Z: The want to have music I'd written and was proud of be recognised and enjoyed.

M: Doing something you love and sharing it with others who can take something from.

Finally we had to clear up the "Is a Jaffa Cake a biscuit or a cake?" debate. According to these guys the Jaffa cake is in fact a cake. Fuck the biscuit isle!

Check out Safeguard now. Follow them on Facebook and Twitter

Follow us: Twitter/Facebook

Article by James Tinsley

No comments:

Post a Comment