Monday 2 May 2016

My Stoner Metal/Rock, Doom Listening Post

Stoner Rock and Metal and Doom Metal is a bit of a Holy Grail to me. While I'm waiting for the arrival of my next album to review (a stoner metal band), I've been listening to a few different bands I've either found recently or have been listening to for years. So I thought I'd put together a little playlist of the bands or tracks that have been ever presents over the last few weeks.

If this is your thing it's likely non of this is will be new to you but I hope you enjoy my selection.

If it is not your thing and you like any of it or I introduce you to someone, then this my friends is why we do it.

Band - Stoned Jesus
Album - Seven Thunders Roar
Track -Electric Mistress
Find them;
Facebook page for Stoned Jesus
Twitter; @StonedJesusBand

At the behest of my good friend Stu, I've been checking out these guys from Ukraine. This is a Sabbath esque tune with glorious head banging riffage and Iron Maiden like melody parts. The change into a Doom Metal breakdown is as slow and heavy as can be and adds a brilliant dimension to the track.





Band - WeedEater
Album - God Luck and Good Speed
Song -  God Luck and Good Speed
Find them
Facebook page for WeedEater
Twitter: @weedmetal



Sludgy perfection from the North Carolina trio. I mean it's Weedeater, I really need say no more.......



Band - Music Hates You 
Track - Sweet Hole Alabama/Hell No I Aint Got The God Damn Rent
Find them;
Facebook for Music Hates You
Twitter; @MusicHatesYou

O.k, so this is a live performance, but this is my most coveted band at the moment. It is physically painful for me that I can not seem to buy their C.D's in the U.K. I literally think about it every day and check various websites for availability! Yes I can buy the digital albums, but I'm old school and if it's a band I really like I want something physical to put amongst my collection. Digital music takes all the personality and thought out of music for me. Digital Music Hates You.

Anyway, rant over.

I want their albums and I want them based purely on  this video (and consequently others I've seen) Just watch and appreciate the pure quality of this performance.



Band - Gonga
Album - Gonga
Track - Fellow Man
Find them:
Gonga Facebook
Twitter: @Gongaofficial

One of the first Stoner Rock albums I bought, all the way back in 2004. From Bristol U.K, I came about them reading about albums on Amazon and bought it immediately. A band that are very musically strong that evoke so many great memories. The album Gonga is a must have.



Band - Gozu
Album - Locust Season
Track -  Meat Charger
Find them;
Gozu Facebook Page 
Twitter:@GOZU666

This is a great song from a band I've so far only scratched the surface with. The riff is king on this track but the transformation into fast paced, balls out tune at the end is something to behold. Can't wait to sit down and really get into these guys.



Band - Sleep
Album - Holy Mountain
Track - Holy Mountain
Find them
Sleep Facebook 


They need no introduction or explanation. They are a sublime wall of noise.



Band - Eyehategod
Track: New Orleans is the New Vietnam
Find them:
Eyehategod Facebook 
Twitter: @EyehategodNola


This is my "if you could be in any band which would you choose" band. Why? Because they nail riff writing like no one else and because Jimmy "the Power" Bower is the dude. That is all.




Band - Mondo Drag
Album: The Occulatation of light
Track: Out of Sight
Find them:
Mondo Drag Facebook 
Twitter: @MONDODRAG

They're more psychedelic than stoner but close enough for my list.

What happens when the Doors, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Gaz Coombes from Supergrass get together for an orgie? Mondo Drag is what happens. Seriously, listen! (If you scratch your wig at these comparisons, keep it on, even if you don't agree with it you'll agree on how good they are).

They create the kind of music fans of multiple genres are searching for yet are no where near recognised enough on these shores.



Band - Orange Goblin
Album - Coup De Grace
Track - Made of Rats
Find them;
Orange Goblin Facebook 
Twitter : @OrangeGoblin1

Everything Orange Goblin records has great riffs and strong vocals so it was hard to pick a song. It took me a while to get properly into this band but now I am they're an ever present on my C.D player.




Band - Cloud
Album - Cloud EP
Track - Grim Reefer
Find them: good luck (but if you do let me know)

I know nothing about them, cant find much out about them but I came across this track recently and it's pure instrumental Doom brilliance.





Band - Down
Album - Nola
Track - Eyes Of The South
Find them;
Down Facebook 
Twitter: @downnola

This is a classic from my all time favourite band and album. The mighty DOWN.



or follow me on twitter; @simjonny

No comments:

Post a Comment